Sweet Potato Tortilla Pie Recipe
Sweet Potato Tortilla Pie is an easy way to add veggies to the table! Crisp corn tortillas form the crust of this savory pie filled with cubed sweet potatoes, egg and cheese.
- Author: Rustic Family Recipes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 tsp olive oil (divided use)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups milk or unsweetened plant-based milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 scallions (diced)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
Roast Your Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a roasting pan toss the sweet potatoes with the garlic, cumin and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once after 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Assemble & Bake the Tortilla Pie
- Grease a 10-inch quiche or pie pan (not a spring form pan) with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil by using your fingers to rub the oil around the inside of the pan. Layer the tortillas along the bottom of the pan so that they cover the entire inside of the pan and form a tortilla crust.
- Set your oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, scallions, salt and pepper, and oregano. Once your sweet potatoes have cooled completely, spoon the sweet potatoes over the tortillas and spread them out evenly. Sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes. Pour the milk mixture over everything. It is ok if some of the mixture flows beneath the tortillas.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the custard is set. You can tell the custard is set when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 249
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: vegetarian dinner ideas, tortilla pie