About Me: I have more than 20 years of cooking experience & share my favorite recipes on this blog.
Have a question? Please post a comment, I’m happy to help. 🙂
Sweet Potato Tortilla Pie is one of my favorite sweet potato recipes and an easy vegetarian dinner idea. Crisp corn tortillas form the crust of this savory pie filled with roasted sweet potatoes, eggs and cheese.
Why You’ll Love This Tortilla Pie Recipe
- Easy. Although roasting the sweet potatoes does take some time, the preparation for this tortilla pie is pretty straightforward. Once the potatoes are cooked, you line a baking dish with corn tortillas, add the rest of the ingredients and bake.
- Flavorful. I love the combination of tender sweet potatoes, flavorful eggs and crispy tortillas. This recipe slices like a pie, so you can add sour cream, guacamole or your other favorite fixings on top of your slice.
- Satisfying. If you’re looking for a hearty vegetarian dinner idea, this tortilla pie is a great option. The eggs and potatoes are super filling.
What is a Tortilla Pie?
Tortilla pie is basically a quiche that uses corn tortillas instead of traditional pie crust. The tortillas a layered along the bottom of your pie pan before pouring the filling into your pie dish and baking like a traditional quiche. The resulting pie “crust” is crispy and goes so well with the Southwestern flavors of the savory custard filling.
Can I Make Tortilla Pie Ahead?
Yes! Since the sweet potatoes are roasted before they are added to the custard filling this recipe takes a bit too much time to make from start-to-finish on a busy weeknight. To get around this, I usually make this tortilla pie on a Sunday and then let it cool completely before storing it in the fridge. Sometimes I’ll also slice up the pie and store it in a glass container with a lid too.
How to Reheat Extras
- If you are reheating the entire pie: Place the pie on a baking sheet and re-heat in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- If reheating in the microwave: Reheat individual slices in the microwave for ~ 1-2 minutes per slice. The time will vary according to how large your slice is, so start with less time, test, and add more time as needed.
More Vegetarian Dinner Ideas
- Sweet Potato Migas
- Spinach Mushroom Quiche
- Butternut Squash Lasagna with Béchamel Sauce
- Avocado Enchiladas
Sweet Potato Tortilla Pie Recipe
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided use
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 scallions, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
Roast Your Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a roasting pan toss the sweet potatoes with the garlic, cumin and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once after 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Assemble & Bake the Tortilla Pie
- Grease a 10-inch quiche or pie pan (not a spring form pan) with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil by using your fingers to rub the oil around the inside of the pan.
- Layer the tortillas along the bottom of the pan so that they cover the entire inside of the pan and form a tortilla crust.
- Set your oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, scallions, salt and pepper, and oregano.
- Once your sweet potatoes have cooled completely, spoon the sweet potatoes over the tortillas and spread them out evenly.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes. Pour the milk mixture over everything. It is ok if some of the mixture flows beneath the tortillas.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the custard is set. You can tell the custard is set when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.