This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This sweet potato and black bean soup is packed with flavor and comes together in 30 minutes. It’s perfect with a crusty slice of bread or a warm grilled cheese sandwich.
This simple sweet potato soup is one of those meals I throw together when I want a quick dinner that everyone will eat. Kids and adults love this recipe. The sweet potatoes have a subtle sweetness that compliments the warming flavors of turmeric, cinnamon, and smoked paprika. Bowls are emptied, bellies are filled, everyone’s satisfied. A steaming bowl of this soup is cozy comfort at its best.
Why You’ll Love This Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup
- Simple. This black bean soup uses easy-to-find ingredients like canned black beans, sweet potatoes and broth. Everything comes together in a few simple steps.
- Quick. Start to finish this soup is ready in 30 minutes. It’s perfect for busy weeknights.
- Flavorful & satisfying. Every bite has tender sweet potato and hearty black beans in a gently spiced tomato broth.
How to Store and Reheat Extras
This soup gets even better when reheated so I definitely recommend saving extras for later.
- Fridge. Let your soup cool to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer. Spoon cooled soup into single-serving sized containers that are airtight and freezer safe. Make sure you leave at least one inch of space at the top so that the soup has room to expand as it freezes. This soup will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- To reheat. Ladle the amount of soup you want to eat into a small soup pot and warm over medium-low heat until it is as hot as you want it to be. You can also reheat the soup in a microwave-safe bowl covered with a plate. Zap it in the microwave until warmed through, stirring halfway through the reheating time so that you don’t end up with any cold spots.
More Soup Recipes
- White Bean Soup
- Crack Chicken Noodle Soup
- Caldo Tlalpeño
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Avgolemono (Chicken Lemon Rice Soup)
Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- A dash of ground cinnamon
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz can black beans, 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cook onions and garlic. Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and warm over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add everything else except the beans. Add the sweet potato, tomatoes, smoked paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Give it all a good stir. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for about 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add beans. Stir in the black beans and continue cooking until everything is heated through, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust salt/pepper to taste.
- Serve. I like to serve this soup with a crusty slice of bread or a grilled cheese sandwich.
- To store extras: Let the soup cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: The best way to reheat this soup is on the stove in a small soup pot. Just spoon the amount you want into your pot and heat over medium-low until warmed through.