This easy sweet potato and black bean soup is packed with flavor and good for you nutrients! The entire thing comes together in 30 minutes and is perfect with a crusty slice of bread or a warm grilled cheese sandwich.
This simple sweet potato soup is one of those meals I throw together when I want a quick and healthy dinner that everyone will eat. Kids and adults love this recipe. The sweet potatoes have a subtle sweetness that compliments the warming flavors of turmeric, cinnamon, and smoked paprika. A steaming bowl of this soup is cozy comfort at its best, especially when served with a grilled cheese sandwich or maybe some cornbread muffins.
Is this Soup Healthy?
Broth and vegetable-based soups are usually pretty healthy and this recipe is no exception. Sweet potatoes are one of the healthiest foods you can eat (more about them in my baked sweet potatoes post) and black beans are full of protein. The spices pack quite a punch on their own too:
- Paprika – Loaded with nutrients like Vitamin A, E and B6 as well as iron. Paprika is great for eye health and may even help reduce inflamation.
- Turmeric – Another spice with anti inflammatory properties that also happens to be good for brain health.
- Cinnamon – This popular spice has tons of antioxidants, anti inflamatory properties and even can even help fight off infections.
- Cayenne – There’s just a pinch in this recipe (same as the cinnamon) but cayenne pepper nevertheless is great for overall health.
I recommend serving this soup with a crusty slice of bread, grilled cheese sandwiches, mile-high popovers, or cornbread. A slice of homemade apple sandwich bread, sourdough focaccia, or cornbread muffins are other tasty ideas!
How to Store and Reheat Extras
This soup gets even better when reheated so I definitely recommend saving extras for later. Let your soup cool to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, ladle the amount of soup you want to eat into a small soup pot and warm over medium-low heat until it is as hot as you want it to be.
You can also reheat the soup in a microwave-safe bowl covered with a plate. Zap it in the microwave until warmed through, stirring halfway through the reheating time so that you don’t end up with any cold spots.Print
Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup
This warming sweet potato and black bean soup is full of flavor and good for you nutrients.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- A dash of ground cinnamon
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
Cook onions and garlic. Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and warm over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
Add everything else except the beans. Add the sweet potato, tomatoes, smoked paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Give it all a good stir. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for about 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Add beans. Stir in the black beans and continue cooking until everything is heated through, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust salt/pepper to taste.
Serve. I like to serve this soup with a crusty slice of bread or a grilled cheese sandwich.
- To store extras: Let the soup cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: The best way to reheat this soup is on the stove in a small soup pot. Just spoon the amount you want into your pot and heat over medium-low until warmed through.
Last Step:Please share a rating and comment if you enjoyed this recipe! Your feedback helps this little blog thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Keywords: sweet potato soup, black bean soup, healthy soup, quick soup recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.