Strawberry Blueberry Mostachon
This Strawberry Blueberry Mostachon is made with crushed Maria cookies, meringue, and lots of fresh fruit. You’re going to love this Mexican dessert featuring the bounty of summer!
- Author: Rustic Family Recipes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Chill Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
For meringue base:
- 12–14 (3.5 oz) Maria cookies
- 1 cup toasted almonds
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
For meringue base:
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch nonstick springform pan with cooking spray.
- Crush the Maria cookies and almonds in a food processor. They should be in fine pieces and not a powder.
- Place the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in a clean and dry bowl. Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks begin to form. Add in the sugar slowly, followed by the baking powder and almond extract. Continue beating for another 3 minutes until your meringue is shiny and you have firm peaks.
- Fold in your Maria cookies and crushed almonds using a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared springform pan.
- Bake for approximately 35-45 minutes until the meringue base begins to brown slightly. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from springform pan and allow to cool completely.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese for 1 minute.
- Add in vanilla extract and powdered sugar and beat until completely smooth.
- Using a spatula, spread approximately half of the icing over the top of the meringue base.
- Add the sliced strawberries, starting from the outside of the base, and work your way to the center. Add blueberries.
- For an extra fancy look, add the remaining icing to a piping bag and fill in the edges of the Mostachon with tiny dots of icing.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. This will make the Mostachon easier to cut.
Keywords: meringue recipe, mexican dessert, mostachon cake, pastel mostachon