Sourdough Discard Blueberry Muffins
These moist and tender blueberry muffins are the perfect way to use up sourdough discard. The sourdough starter gives these muffins a slight tanginess that is quite addictive!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sourdough discard
- 3/4 cup yogurt (I prefer whole yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (frozen works too)
- Preheat your oven to 400F and line your muffin tins with paper baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients. This includes the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients. This includes the sourdough discard, yogurt, vanilla, egg, butter, sugar and lemon zest. Mix well and set aside.
- Remove 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients and set side.
- Slowly add the rest of dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until there are no traces of dry ingredients visible.
- In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries and the 1 tablespoon of dry ingredients that you set aside earlier. This will help prevent the berries from sinking in the muffins.
- Add the blueberries to the batter and mix until just combined.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each one 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The muffins are done when golden and when the tops spring back when gently pressed with your finger.
- You can store these muffins on the counter for 3-4 days. Let them come to room temperature, then store in a ziploc bag or tupperware.
- You can freeze these muffins for up to 6 months. Let them come to room temperature, then wrap each muffin in saran wrap or plastic wrap. Place the wrapped muffins into a freezer safe container and place in the freezer.
Keywords: sourdough discard recipes, sourdough muffins