Loved a recipe? Have a question? Please share a comment. 🙂
This Roy Rogers drink is a classic mocktail made with Coca-Cola, lime juice, grenadine, and maraschino cherries! It comes together in minutes and is perfect for a hot summer day.
If you’re looking for a refreshing sip on a sweltering summer day – and don’t want something with alcohol – this simple Roy Rogers drink might be exactly what you’re looking for. Made with only 4 ingredients, this “mocktail” spruces up a plain old glass of soda and is suitable for kids and adults alike.
Why You’ll Love This Roy Rogers Drink
- Easy. All you’ll need are a few simple ingredients. Just add them all to a tall glass with ice, mix and start sipping.
- No alcohol. If you don’t drink alcohol or want to make a special sip for the kiddos, a Roy Rogers is a great option. It feels special because it’s not something you make every day, but it’s booze-free so anyone can drink it.
Who Was Roy Rogers? Why is a Drink Named After Him?
Roy Rogers was a 1950’s movie star who was famous for his cowboy films. In fact, he rode a horse named Trigger who was just as famous as he was!
As the story goes, Rogers didn’t drink alcohol but often had to attend Hollywood agent meetings where cocktails were served, so one day a bartender created the “Roy Rogers” drink just for him. This way he could enjoy a drink that was a bit fancy along with everyone else without needing to have any alcohol.
What’s the Difference Between a Roy Rogers and a Shirley Temple?
The method for making a Roy Rogers drink is nearly identical to a Shirley Temple. The only real difference is that a Shirley Temple drink is made with ginger ale soda instead of coke.
There are only 4 ingredients in a Roy Rogers:
- Coca Cola soda
- Grenadine – This is a non-alcoholic syrup made with pomegranate juice.
- Lime Juice – I strongly recommend using fresh lime juice. The bottled stuff just doesn’t have the same brightness or flavor.
- Maraschino Cherry – This is a cherry that has been preserved and sweetened. You can add as many as you like to your drink. They are fun to munch on!
Can I use diet cola to make a Roy Rogers? You sure can. Just swap regular coca-cola for diet and follow the recipe as directed.
How to Make a Roy Rogers
Ready to make a Roy Rodgers? Here’s how to do it:
- Add ice to a tall glass.
- Pour the grenadine and lime juice over the ice.
- Add the soda and fill the glass to the brim. Give everything a good stir.
- Top with a cherry or two.
More Non-Alcoholic Drinks to Try
Roy Rogers Drink
- 12- oz coca cola soda
- 1 tablespoon grenadine
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Add ice to a tall glass. Pour the grenadine and lime juice over the ice.
- Add the soda and give everything a good stir.
- Top with a cherry and start sipping!