This simple quinoa salad is made with black beans, mango, tomato, and a generous amount of fresh chopped cilantro. A flavorful and healthy side that can easily be doubled for a crowd.
Anytime we’re invited to a potluck there are a few “tried and true” recipes I turn to. If I’m asked to bring something sweet, then I always bring lemon slices. They are incredibly easy to make and get rave reviews.
And if I’m asked to bring a savory dish? Well, then it’s a hard call because I have two incredible savory potluck dishes: this deviled egg potato salad, and the quinoa salad you see here.
Today we are talking about the quinoa salad. It’s super easy to make! Fluffy quinoa is mixed with fresh mango cubes, black beans, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro. Then everything is tossed in a simple vinaigrette dressing that adds tang with a hint of sweetness.
Why You’ll Love This Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Easy. This salad requires hardly any effort. For larger gatherings, you can easily double the ingredients to make quite a large bowl without needing to put extra time or energy in.
- Healthy. Pretty much every ingredient in this salad is good for you. The quinoa and black beans are packed with protein, while the veggies, fruit, herbs, and dressing have other good-for-you nutrients.
- Flavorful. Every bite of this quinoa salad is bursting with fresh flavor. I love the hints of sweetness from the mango amid the savory flavors of the quinoa and beans.
You can customize this recipe’s fruits, veggies, and beans according to your tastes. For example:
- Fruit: I have used diced fresh peach instead of mango, and have also added fresh blueberries along with the mango.
- Veggies: Red or green bell peppers are delicious instead of, or in addition to, the diced tomato. A cup or so of chopped kale massaged with a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt is also a tasty addition.
- Beans: Cannellini and garbanzo beans are tasty substitutions for the black beans in this recipe.
Common Questions About Quinoa
The correct pronunciation of “quinoa” is keen-wah. The emphasis is placed on the second syllable, “wah.”
Yes. In fact, quinoa is often referred to as a “superfood.” It is rich in essential nutrients, including protein, dietary fiber, vitamins (such as B vitamins and vitamin E), minerals (such as iron, magnesium, and phosphorus), and antioxidants. Quinoa is also a complete source of protein.
Yes. Quinoa is a seed that does not contain gluten. If you’re invited to a potluck where a gluten-free recipe is needed, this quinoa salad is a great option.
Can I Make This Salad Ahead?
Yes! You can make this quinoa salad the day before. Let the quinoa cool completely, then transfer the salad to an airtight container and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
How Long Do Extras Last?
This quinoa salad will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to eat some, scoop your desired amount into a bowl and dig in.
More Favorite Side Dishes
- Roasted Asparagus (Oven or Air Fryer)
- Apple Walnut Spring Mix Salad
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Deviled Eggs
Quinoa Salad with Black Beans & Mango
This easy quinoa salad is made with fresh mango, black beans, tomatoes and a simple homemade vinaigrette dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Salad
- Method: Instant Pot, Assemble
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped scallions (trim off the ends of each scallion)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Cook the quinoa.** Rinse your quinoa under cold running water. Place it in the bowl of an Instant Pot along with 1 1/2 cups water. Add a pinch of kosher salt. Seal and cook on MANUAL for 1 minute on high pressure. Once your Instant Pot beeps, let it do a natural release for 10 minutes, then carefully release the remaining steam. Fluff your cooked quinoa with a fork, then set aside to cool.
Make the vinaigrette dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, kosher salt and red wine vinegar. Set aside.
Assemble the salad. In a large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa with the mango, tomato, scallions, cilantro and black beans. Give the dressing another quick whisk, then pour it over the salad and gently mix together with a large spoon.
Serve. Let the salad sit for 15 minutes so that the quinoa can soak up some of the flavor from the dressing, then serve. You can serve this salad warm or cold, whichever is easier.
** If you don’t have an instant pot you can cook your quinoa on the stove as follows: Place 1 cup of rinsed quinoa in a medium pot along with 2 cups of water and a pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pot sit for 10 more minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside to cool.
Last Step:Please share a rating and comment if you enjoyed this recipe! Your feedback helps this little blog thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Keywords: quinoa salad, quinoa black bean salad, quinoa salad recipe