This easy chocolate mug cake recipe is the perfect quick fix dessert. No need to make an entire cake with this satisfying single-serving treat.
Looking for more mug cakes? Try this Vanilla Mug Cake, which also has a Snickerdoodle variation!
If you’re in the mood for a big slice of chocolate cake – but not in the mood for baking or waiting for said cake – then this chocolate mug cake is for you. It takes about 3 minutes to put together, then cooks in the microwave for 2 minutes.
This single-serving chocolate cake is moist, tender and fluffy. It is not overly sweet, but not bitter either. It has just enough sweetness to compliment your favorite toppings.
The ingredients for this mug cake are pretty simple, but here are a few notes to help you mix and match what you have on hand. Be sure to check out the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- Egg yolk – I know that eggless mug cakes are a thing, but an egg yolk adds a velvety texture to this mug cake that I quite enjoy. So in goes a yolk!
- Milk – You can use any kind of milk. I have made this with low fat and whole cow milk, as well as oat milk, soy milk and almond milk.
- Oil – This is also flexible. I usually use olive oil, but canola oil would also do nicely.
- Vanilla Extract + Sugar
- All Purpose Flour + Baking Powder
- Cocoa Powder – I like Trader Joe’s cocoa powder, Ghirardelli or Hershey’s.
How Do You Eat a Chocolate Mug Cake?
When I first started making mug cakes friends frequently asked: How do you eat it? This of course, was after they got over the shock of realizing you can make a cake in a mug in the first place.
The most important thing to know when eating a mug cake is that you need to give it a few minutes to cool. It’s hard, I know. I mean you just made this quick cake and now you have to wait to eat it?! But because it cooks at high temperature in the microwave it will be quite hot. Give it a few minutes and gather your toppings.
You can go big or you can go simple with a mug cake. Sometimes I’ll just add a drizzle of caramel sauce and some sprinkles like you see here. Other times I’ll add a big old scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Maybe even a drizzle of chocolate sauce and caramel sauce too. And sprinkles. This is where a large microwave safe mug is helpful. Not only does it give your cake plenty of room to rise, but it gives you plenty of room to add toppings!
Pile on your toppings, then grab a spoon and dig in. I love scooping cake out from the bottom of the mug, then gathering bits of as many toppings as possible as I pull the spoon out.
5 stars. Highly recommend. Give it a try!Print
Quick & Easy Chocolate Mug Cake
This easy chocolate mug cake recipe is the perfect quick fix dessert. No need to make an entire cake with the satisfying single-serving treat.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 mug cake 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar *
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons milk (cow or plant milk)
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive oil or canola oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Add the dry ingredients to a large microwave safe mug. This includes the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar.
Add the wet ingredients. This includes the egg yolk, milk, oil and vanilla.
Mix well. Make sure there are no dry bits of batter on the bottom of the mug.
Microwave. This mug cake cooks for me in 2 minutes, but the time may vary depending on the strength of your microwave. I’d start with 1 minute 45 seconds and then check the cake. It is done when it has risen nicely and is firm on the top when you press it gently with your finger. (Careful, it will be hot.)
Cool and serve. Let the mug cake cool for a few minutes. It will be very hot! Then add your favorite toppings. I’m always partial to caramel sauce, sprinkles, ice cream or chocolate sauce.
* When I make this cake for myself, I use 2 tablespoons of sugar. But when I make it for kids or for someone with a bigger sweet tooth than me, I use 3 tablespoons of sugar.
Keywords: microwave mug cake, easy chocolate mug cake