If you need a chocolate fix stat, this easy brownie in a mug recipe is just the ticket. Made in a few minutes and studded with melty milk chocolate chips, it’s perfect topped with vanilla ice cream!
This brownie in a mug recipe is ready in 8 minutes, most of which is cooling time so you don’t burn your mouth. When I’m craving homemade brownies but don’t have the patience to wait for them to bake, this is my go-to recipe. It satisfies my sweet tooth craving and I don’t have to wait for the oven to work its magic.
Also? Kids with a bit of know-how can easily make desserts like this themselves. My kiddo will make this brownie or this apple crisp in a mug by themselves when they want a sweet treat on the weekend or after school. (In the mornings, they sometimes make French toast in a mug!) You’d be amazed by what a confidence booster it is to be able to make food for yourself, even if it is something as simple as a brownie.
This recipe makes one large brownie with bits of gooey, melted chocolate chips throughout. We like to serve it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or a generous dollop of whipped cream. (Or both, why not?)
What’s the Difference Between a Mug Cake and a Mug Brownie?
In many ways, this recipe is similar to my chocolate mug cake recipe. The main difference is that this recipe has more chocolate, and no leaving agent or egg yolk. This creates a thicker, fudgier mug dessert that resembles a traditional brownie more than a slice of cake.
Tips for Success
While this recipe is super easy, there are a couple of tips I strongly recommend. In fact, I daresay they are essential!
- Use a large mug. Although this brownie does not rise as much as a mug cake, I still like to use a 15-oz mug to make it. This gives your brownie plenty of room to cook in the microwave and leaves lots of room for adding ice cream right to the mug.
- Use a microwave safe mug. This almost goes without saying. Almost.
- Stir well. Make sure you stir the brownie batter well to prevent bits of dry batter from getting stuck along the bottom edges of your mug.
- Let it cool. It is very important that you give this brownie at least 5 minutes to cool after cooking. Not only will it be VERY HOT but the brownie also needs this time to firm up and finishing cooking.
I recommend serving this brownie with French vanilla ice cream and a generous dollop of whipped cream. You can eat the brownie straight out of the mug, or scoop it into a bowl and add your toppings there. Other fun fixings include banana slices, maraschino cherries, and maybe even some sprinkles! Why, that almost sounds like a sundae doesn’t it?Print
Brownie in a Mug
This easy brownie in a mug recipe is ideal for any time you need a quick chocolate fix! Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cooling: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute 30 seconds
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 1 brownie
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
Mix the dry ingredients. In your mug combine the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt.
Add wet ingredients. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the olive oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well, being sure to scrape along the bottom edges of the mug so that there aren’t any dry bits of batter left.
Add the chocolate chips. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
Microwave. Place the mug in your microwave and cook for 1 minute 30 seconds.
Cool and serve. Let your brownie cool for at least 5 minutes. Then top with ice cream or whipped cream and dig in!
Keywords: easy brownie in a mug