This Oreo mug cake is full of real Oreo flavor. Want to know why? Because it is made with crushed Oreo cookies! You won’t believe how easy it is to make a fluffy mug cake using this TikTok method.
Friends know that I’m pretty much obsessed with mug cakes. I love making them. They’re simple, satisfying, and make the perfect single-serving dessert. So of course when they came across a TikTok video of a mug cake made mostly with crushed Oreo cookies, they started sending it to me. I’m not on TikTok – I don’t really get it and maybe that makes me sound old-fashioned but there it is.
Anyways, because this was a new way to make a mug cake, I decided to check out the video and give the recipe a try. I added a pinch of kosher salt to add some depth to the flavor, but overall this was a fun and easy way to make a mug cake with real Oreo flavor. If you’re looking for a quick dessert idea and happen to have Oreos in the pantry, this recipe may be just the thing to try.
What You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make an Oreo mug cake. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for specific amounts.
- Oreo cookies
- Milk – Cow milk, almond milk, soy milk, and oat milk also work. Coconut milk is too thick.
- Sugar – White or brown sugar works.
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder
- Kosher salt
How to Make an Oreo Mug Cake
Ready to make a super easy Oreo mug cake? Here’s how to do it:
- Crush and dissolve the cookies. In a microwave-safe mug, break 4 oreo cookies in half. Add the 1/4 cup milk. Using a fork, smash the cookies into the milk until they have dissolved and you have chocolatey mixture.
- Add other ingredients. Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and a scant pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Place another Oreo cookie in the center. Take the last Oreo cookie and press it into the center, covering it with the cake batter.
- Microwave on high for 1 min 30 seconds. Allow to cool for 2-4 minutes, the mug cake will be HOT.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Note: If you plan to serve this with ice cream use a 15-oz mug instead of an 11-oz one.
Tips and Serving Suggestions
This mug cake is pretty straightforward, but as with my other mug cake recipes a few tips never hurt!
- Use a microwave-safe mug. Make sure the mug you are going to use is safe to heat in the microwave.
- Consider the mug size. If you are just going to add some whipped cream on top, then an 11-oz mug is sufficient. But if you want to add a scoop of ice cream to the mug, then a 15-oz mug is a better size.
- Let it cool. Mug cakes are HOT when they finish cooking in the microwave. So let yours cool for at least a few minutes before digging in.
- Add toppings! I usually go with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (sometimes both). But you could also use bourbon vanilla ice cream, strawberry ice cream, or even just add fresh sliced strawberries on top.
Oreo Mug Cake
This Oreo mug cake is full of real Oreo flavor. Want to know why? Because it is made with crushed Oreo cookies!
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute 30 seconds
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 1 mug cake
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 5 Oreo cookies, divided use
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
Crush and dissolve the cookies. In an 11oz microwave-safe mug*, break 4 oreo cookies in half. Add the 1/4 cup milk. Using a fork, smash the cookies into the milk until they have dissolved and you have a chocolatey mixture.
Add other ingredients. Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and a scant pinch of salt. Mix well.
Add the last cookie. Take the last Oreo cookie and press it into the center, covering it with the cake batter.
Microwave on high for 1 min 30 seconds. Allow to cool for 2-4 minutes, the mug cake will be HOT.
Serve. I recommend serving this with whipped cream and/or ice cream.
*If you plan to serve this with ice cream in the mug, then use a 15-oz mug.
Keywords: oreo mug cake, oreo mug cake recipe, easy mug cake