With bits of orange zest, these Mexican mantecadas are the sweet, moist, and fluffy treat your morning coffee needs.
- Author: Rustic Family Recipes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 26 minutes
- Total Time: 36 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 small eggs – These can be swapped for 3 large eggs.
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- Prepare the mold. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake tray with liners. Set it aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and zest in a medium-sized bowl until well combined.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar. In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until the mixture is slightly pale and the sugar dissolves.
- Add the wet ingredients. Use one hand to pour the milk and oil into the egg mixture while using your other hand to stir the ingredients. Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients. Transfer half of the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined and then add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix again but don’t over-mix.
- Add the zest. Use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to gently fold in the orange zest.
- Rest. Let the batter rest for 20 minutes.
- Fill the liners. Add batter into each cupcake liner until it’s 3/4 full.
- Bake. Pop the tray into the oven and bake for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. They should be golden brown on the outside.
Keywords: mantecadas, mexican muffins, pan dulce