Citrusy and refreshing with a vodka kick, this easy John Daly drink is ideal for sipping on hot days in the sunshine. Also known as a Spiked Arnold Palmer, this cold sip is one of our favorite summer cocktails.
This boozy cousin of the Arnold Palmer is one of our favorite “grown-up” summer drinks. Part lemonade and part iced tea with a shot and a half of vodka, this cold sip is right up there with a mango mojito in terms of being a totally refreshing cocktail. Garnish it with a lemon wheel and some extra lemon wedges!
Why Is It Called a John Daly?
This drink is named after the American golfer John Daly. It all started with the Arnold Palmer drink (named after another golfer!). Basically, a bartender at a Florida golf club decided to spike an Arnold Palmer as a tongue-in-cheek homage to John Daly. Mr. Daly, for his part, took issue with the moniker and decided to start his own beverage company where he now sells pre-made John Daly’s. They are called John Daly’s Grip It & Sip It Half & Half.
There are a few popular variations of the John Daly:
- You can use sweet tea instead of iced tea.
- A Southern variation replaces the vodka with bourbon and adds muddled mint leaves.
- Another variation replaces .25oz of the vodka with Triple Sec or Cointreau.
- You can also add extra lemon wedges to your drink for more citrus flavor.
How to Make a John Daly Drink
This refreshing cocktail is super easy to make. Here’s how to do it:
- Add your desired amount of ice to a highball glass. Add lemon wedges too, if you like.
- Add the lemonade, iced tea, and vodka. Give everything a brief stir.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel, and add a straw. Start sipping!
That’s it. Summertime cocktails should not be complicated. You can use storebought lemonade & ice tea, or you can make your lemonade from scratch.
What to Serve With This Cocktail?
This drink goes with pretty much anything. For dinner, I like to serve it with homemade lasagna or a slice of sourdough pizza. It also goes wonderfully with birria pizza, or a tomato galette – the peak summer flavors complement this drink!
But this cocktail also goes with finger foods. In fact, after a cold hard cider, a John Daly is probably my favorite drink to serve with fried green tomatoes. Nachos, taquitos, and deviled eggs are other tasty ideas!Print
John Daly Drink
Citrusy and refreshing with a vodka kick, this easy John Daly drink is ideal for sipping on hot days in the sunshine.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- 1 – 1.5 oz vodka (depending on how strong you want your drink)
- 1/2 cup lemonade
- 1 cup unsweetened iced tea (or enough to fill the glass)
- Ice for serving
- Lemon wheel and/or wedges for garnish
Fill a tall glass about 1/3 full with ice. Add 2-3 thin lemon slices along with the ice, if desired.
Add the vodka, lemonade, and iced tea. Give it a quick stir.
Garnish with lemon wheel and serve
Last Step:Please share a rating and comment if you enjoyed this recipe! Your feedback helps this little blog thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Keywords: john daly drink, spiked arnold palmer, lemonade cocktail
More Warm Weather Drinks
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.