This Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chickpea Masala is made with chickpeas, sweet potatoes, warm cumin, and earthy turmeric. It’s not a traditional masala, but it sure is a tasty dinner idea!
As you probably know by now, I love cooking with sweet potatoes. Most weekends I’ll bake at least a few sweet potatoes, then store them in the fridge so I can add them to meals during the week. They are perfect for thickening chili, making dal, or mixing into migas for breakfast. (Not to mention eating on their own.) I have even been known to add them to brownies (so good).
This Sweet Potato Chickpea Masala is the latest addition to my sweet potato recipe rotation. It is not a traditional masala, but it does feature Indian-inspired flavors that are just so satisfying spooned over fluffy rice and served with a side of naan bread. The recipe comes together in 30 minutes (18 of them hands off) and is full of good-for-you nutrients thanks to the sweet potatoes, chickpeas and spices.
What You’ll Need
Ready to make this quick vegetarian dinner in your Instant Pot? Here’s what you’ll need. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for specific amounts.
- Chickpeas: High in protein and absorbs the flavor of the warm spices.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Ginger Paste
- Garlic Cloves
- Lemon Juice: This brightens the flavor of this dish.
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion: You can also use a white or red onion.
- Cooked Sweet Potato: Make sure to check out my How to Bake a Sweet Potato for help.
- Spices: ground cumin, ground turmeric and garam masala
- White Sugar: Just a touch to bring all the flavors together and add a subtle touch of sweetness.
- Kosher salt
How to Make Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chickpea Masala
Instant Pot Chickpea Masala is a super easy recipe that has just a few simple steps. You’ll need a blender and Instant Pot to make this meal.
Step 1: Using a blender, combine the diced tomatoes, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and 3/4 cup of the chickpeas. Set aside.
Step 2: With the Instant Pot on sauté, add the oil and onion and cook while stirring.
Step 3: Add the cumin, turmeric, garam masala, salt, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and sugar while stirring. Once combined add the water. Add the blended chickpea mixture. Stir everything together.
Step 4: Cover and seal the pot. Leave on high pressure for 18 minutes. When the timer goes off, release. Serve with rice.
Tips for Success
Although this colorful Sweet Potato Chickpea Masala is easy to make, I do have a few tips so that you can nail the right consistency for this recipe. Here are my suggestions for how to adjust your masala after its already been cooked in the Instant Pot.
- Simmer to increase the thickness: After you release the pressure from the Instant Pot you can set it to sauté and bring the masala to a simmer if there is too much If you notice too much liquid, set the Instant Pot to sauté and bring the masala to a simmer. Cook while stirring frequently until you reach your desired thickness. Personally, I prefer a thicker masala, but do what’s right for you!
- Taste and adjust seasonings: At this point, I also recommend that you taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Let your masala cool to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for up to 4 days. To reheat, use the stove or the microwave until warm.
This recipe freezes well, too. After your sweet potato masala has cooled, place it in a freezer safe airtight container and leave 1-inch of room for the masala to expand as it freezes. It will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. When you’re ready to use it, thaw overnight in the fridge.Print
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chickpea Masala
An easy, healthy, and colorful masala made with warm and earthy spices.
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
- 3 15-oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons ginger paste
- 7 garlic cloves, minced (Or 2tbs garlic paste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked sweet potato, no skin (from about 2 large baked sweet potatoes, mashed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- In a blender combine ¾ cup of the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the oil to the pot, then add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cumin, turmeric, garam masala, and salt, stirring to combine. Cook about 1 more minute until fragrant. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, and sugar. Mix well. Add the water. Add the blended chickpea mixture. Mix again.
- Cover and seal Instant Pot. Set Instant Pot to high pressure and 18 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, do a quick release. If the masala still has a lot of liquid, set the Instant Pot to saute and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently until desired thickness is achieved. I like mine to be somewhat thick. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve over cooked white Jasmine or Basmati rice. (Regular rice works too.)
Keywords: chana masala, chickpea curry, masala