Grab a big spoon because you’re going to need it for this irresistible Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. This cookie dough is safe to eat and you can make it in just a few minutes! It’s the perfect recipe for when you’re craving something sweet.
Do you remember trying to sneak in a bite of cookie dough when you were a kid? Chocolate chip cookie dough is downright delicious. Time after time, I’d sneak my fingers into the bowl to get a little bite. Unfortunately, eating raw dough from standard cookie dough recipes isn’t safe (just like our mothers warned us!).
The good thing is I’ve created a recipe that tastes just like that classic chocolate chip cookie dough. And this cookie dough you CAN eat raw. There are no safety concerns here when eating this raw dough. Also, you get to skip the baking and waiting part.
Another perk about this recipe it only needs a few simple ingredients. So when I’m craving something sweet and quick, I just pull up this recipe and I’m good to go. Of course, if you really feel like an actual, “hot out of the oven” cookie, I still have you covered. Check out two of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes – Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies and Chocolate Chip Latte Cookies.
Edible cookie dough is worry-free cookie dough!
Did you know that the raw flour in cookie dough can make you sick? This is another big reason we were always told not to eat raw cookie dough as a kid. Raw flour, like many uncooked ingredients, may contain bacteria that can cause food poisoning. E. Coli is one example. So it’s important that we take the steps to assure that the bacteria is long gone before we eat the raw cookie dough.
Don’t worry though. I’ve included instructions on how to heat treat flour for cookie dough. What does it mean to heat treat the flour? We’ll get into that in a second.
It’s also not safe to eat cookie dough that has raw, unpasteurized eggs. So, it’s best to remove the eggs altogether. We’ll use milk instead as a liquid to bind everything together.
Here is what you’re going to need. You should have most of these ingredients in your kitchen already. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for specific amounts.
- Unsalted butter – It’s always best to use unsalted butter with baking and cooking. Then you can adjust the salt level to your liking.
- Brown sugar – Adds a subtle caramel flavor that is delightful in this edible cookie dough.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla is always best. Try to avoid imitation extract.
- Milk – You can use whatever kind of milk you have on hand. It helps make the dry ingredients wet and bind together.
- Kosher salt – Salt brings out the flavor in sweet dishes. Try a bite with salt and without salt. You’ll taste the difference immediately!
- All-purpose flour – Don’t forget to heat treat the flour (directions below).
Do I Need to Heat Treat the Flour?
Yes, it is important to heat treat the flour before using it to make edible cookie dough. I mentioned before that there can be contaminants in the flour that can make you sick. The best way to assure you’re eating safe-to-eat cookie dough is to heat the flour and kill any bacteria that might be present.
I suggest using a microwave to keep it simple and quick. It’s the fastest way to heat treat flour for cookie dough. It’s a very simple step that is highly recommended before eating raw flour. See instructions below.
Making this edible cookie dough requires only a few quick steps.
First, heat treat the flour. Place the flour in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the flour in 15-second intervals on maximum power until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. This will kill any bacteria that might be in the flour. Make sure that you stir the flour between each interval. This should take about 1 minute.
Grab an electric mixer. This is the best way to get the dough to the right consistency. In a medium-sized bowl cream the butter and brown sugar. This takes about 3 minutes. You want the mixture to be a light pale color and fluffy.
Add the vanilla and milk. You can continue to use the electric mixer or you can stir with a spoon.
Gently mix in the salt and flour. You’ll want to do this part by hand with a spoon or spatula. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Try not to over-mix the dough.
Add the chocolate chips. Fold in the chocolate chips at the very end. Now your edible chocolate chip cookie dough is ready to eat!
Tips for Success
Follow these helpful tips to be sure that you end up with the most delicious edible chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Is it ok to use dairy-free milk for edible chocolate chip cookie dough? Yes, you can use plant-based milk instead of regular dairy milk. Depending on the consistency of the milk, you may need to adjust the amount. For example, some coconut milk brands have a thicker consistency than cow milk.
- Don’t melt the butter. It’s best to use butter at room temperature. If you melt the butter, you won’t have fluffy, tender cookie dough.
- Mixing the dough by hand. You can certainly make edible cookie dough without an electric mixer, but it will take a little longer. You will have to mix the butter and brown sugar pretty vigorously to get the right dough texture.
How To Store
The best way to store edible chocolate chip cookie dough is in a good air-tight container in the fridge. A mason jar or deli cup with a lid, or a simple tupperware container will work. The cookie dough will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes, you can freeze edible cookie dough. As a kid, I loved eating chocolate chip cookies frozen, and eating frozen balls of edible chocolate chip cookie dough is a delicious treat during the hot summer months.
I recommend freezing the dough in single serving portions to make it easier to eat when you’re ready to grab some out of the freezer. The easiest way to do this is to line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then drop spoonfuls of dough onto the paper. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 2 hours, or until the dough is solid. Then transfer your edible cookie dough to a freezer-safe, airtight container. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.Print
Grab a big spoon because you’re going to need it for this irresistible Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. This cookie dough is safe to eat and you can make it in just a few minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips
Heat Treat the Flour
- Measure out the flour and place it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the flour in 15-second intervals on maximum power until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Mix the flour throughout between each interval. This should take approximately 1 minute in total. Set the flour aside.
Make the Edible Cookie Dough
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and milk, and combine together either with a mixer or a spoon. Now, add a pinch of salt and flour and mix with a spoon or a spatula just until combined.
- Using a spatula or a spoon, fold in the chocolate chips, then dig in!
Store your cookie dough in a mason jar with a lid or an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Keywords: edible cookie dough, healthy edible dough, how to make edible cookie dough