This chocolate chip cookie in a mug is ready to eat in 4 minutes! Make a perfectly chewy chocolate chip cookie in your microwave, add your favorite toppings, then dig in.
I love desserts you can make in a mug using only your microwave and a few ingredients. No need to turn on the oven, no need to chill cookie dough, just mix and zap! If I’d known how to make these kinds of single serving desserts in college I would have ruled the campus.
I have shared many of our favorite mug cakes, and even a French toast in a mug and brownie in a mug recipe. But, until today I hadn’t shared a cookie in a mug recipe. And friends, there are a lot of them! Today we’re going to start with a tried and true classic: a chocolate chip cookie in a mug.
- Quick & Easy. All you need is a mug, simple ingredients, and a microwave. Oh and less than 5 minutes. It doesn’t get any easier than that my friends!
- Delicious. This cookie in a mug has caramel undertones from the brown sugar and is studded with semisweet chocolate chips. Digging into this chewy cookie in a mug is a total delight!
- Ideal cookie texture. The main difference between this chocolate chip cookie in a mug and my chocolate chip mug cake is texture. The cake is fluffy and cake-like, while this cookie is chewy and cookie-like. This difference is accomplished by decreasing the amount of leavening agent in the recipe and changing the kind of sugar used.
The same tips that apply to making mug cakes apply to making cookies in a mug:
- Use a microwave safe mug. This is important! Make sure you check the bottom of your mug before using it to make a mug cake in your microwave.
- Use a large mug. Confession: I used an 11-oz mug in the photo above so that you could see the cookie, but in “real life” I always use an 15-oz mug. This gives the cookie more room to rise and leaves plenty of room to add your toppings directly to the mug.
- Mix well, but don’t over mix. Be sure to get your spoon in there and mix all the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. Especially get into the nooks along the bottom edge of your mug. Stop mixing as soon as the batter is combined.
- Let it cool. Your cookie will be HOT when it is done. Give it a few minutes to cool before digging in.
- How to tell when your cookie is done? The cookie is done when the center is firm to the touch.
- Add toppings. I like to serve this chocolate chip cookie in a mug with vanilla ice cream, chocolate chips and chocolate syrup. You could also add whipped cream of even fresh fruit if you like!
I hope you enjoy this chocolate chip cookie in a mug recipe! Remember to share your newfound knowledge with friends: the power to make a cookie in a mug in minutes is a heady thing. Spread the wealth. 😋
More Desserts in a MugPrint
This easy chocolate chip cookie in a mug is ready in less than 5 minutes! Add your favorite toppings and dig in.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 4 minutes
- Yield: 1 cookie in a mug
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
Melt the butter. Place the butter in a microwave-safe mug and microwave until the nutter has melted. This will take about 45-60 seconds. Careful removing the mug from the microwave, it will be hot.
Add remaining ingredients. With a spoon add the sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, egg yolk, milk, and flour to the mug with the melted butter. Mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix well. Make sure there are no dry bits of batter along the bottom edges of the mug. Smooth the dough with the back of a spoon.
Cook. Place the mix in your microwave and microwave for 60 seconds, until the cookie is set in the middle. Let the cookie cool for at least 5 minutes, it will be hot!!
Serve. You can eat the cookie on its own or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream directly to your mug (another good reason to use a large mug) and dig in.
Last Step:Please share a rating and comment if you enjoyed this recipe! Your feedback helps this little blog thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookie in a mug, cookie in a mug
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Reader Questions and Reviews
Tasty! Didn’t know you could make a cookie in the microwave. Loved it.
Happy you enjoyed it! Yes, mug cakes and cookies are game changers haha!