Black Currant Cake with Crumb Topping
This easy black currant cake recipe is a simple vanilla coffee cake topped with fresh black currants and a crunchy streusel crumb topping. If you don’t have black currants you can also make this cake with blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 slices 1x
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups black currants
For the streusel crumb topping:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a different bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, olive oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix well until combined.
- Place the batter into the prepared pan and cover with black currants.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes, then add the crumb topping.
Add Crumb Topping & Finish Baking
- While the cake is in the oven, in a small bowl combine the streusel crumb topping ingredients.
- After 30 minutes in the oven, take the cake out and sprinkle the streusel crumb topping on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for 30-35 more minutes, or until the streusel crumb topping is golden brown.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- If you don’t have greek yogurt on hand, you can also use sour cream or regular yogurt.
- Keep the cake on the counter for up to 2 days, or store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. For any leftover pieces, you can store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Tightly wrap the slices in cling wrap and store in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag.
Keywords: black currant cake recipe, crumb coffee cake, easy coffee cake