This easy Apple Crumb Coffee Cake recipe is a great way to use up apples that are just past their hand-eating days. It makes a moist coffee cake covered in a simple crumb topping and apple slices cooked in cinnamon sugar.
One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is find ways to use up food. I know it’s a slightly odd obsession, but there it is. I take tremendous pleasure out of using food that might have otherwise have gone to waste (or to the chickens). These past few weeks, when groceries have been harder to come by, it’s a habit that is serving me well.
What have I been making with what’s on hand? Hearty chilaquiles using black beans and tortilla chips that were just past their salsa dipping days. And what I now call a Whatever You’ve Got Coffee Cake, which can be made with butter/olive oil/vegetable oil, and with yogurt/milk/buttermilk/sour cream. Plus whatever fruit you have on hand.
Then there is this easy apple crumb coffee cake, which was inspired by a bowl of apples that were just past their hand-eating days. There are only two things to do with apples like that: turn them into homemade applesauce or bake something. Being the sort of person who enjoys a slice of cake with her morning coffee, I chose the latter.
I sliced the apples, cooked them with a bit of butter, sugar, and cinnamon, then added them to a simple coffee cake base. It came out of the oven just as the sun was peaking over the forest treetops. I set it on the table to cool, then took this photo just as the light came streaming into the kitchen. Once sliced, this cake was tender and moist, with the perfect amount of apple flavor and satisfying crunch from the crumb topping. I do hope you will give this apple crumb coffee cake a try!Print
Apple Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
This easy apple coffeecake recipe is a great way to use up apples that are just past their hand-eating days. Moist coffeecake covered in a simple crumb topping and apple slices cooked in cinnamon-sugar.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 65 minutes
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the Cake
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (olive oil or melted butter also works)
- 1/2 cup milk (or soy milk)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Apples
- 2 medium apples (peeled and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or plant butter)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (or plant butter)
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
Prepare the Apples:
- Peel and slice two apples.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small to medium saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat. Add the apple slices and cook for about 5 minutes, until just softened, stirring frequently.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples and cook a few minutes longer, until the sugar has combined with the juices from the apple slices and the slices are coated in the syrupy mixture. Turn off heat and set aside.
Make the Cake:
- While the apples are cooking, in a medium bowl combine the dry cake ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl combine the wet cake ingredients: sugar, oil, milk, egg and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Pour into your greased baking pan.
Make the Crumb Topping:
- In a medium bowl combine the flour and sugar. Cute the butter into small pieces and add to this mixture. With your hands, rub the butter into the flour-sugar mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Assemble & Bake:
- Sprinkle half of the crumb topping on top of the batter in your springform pan.
- Spread the cooked apple slices on top of the crumb topping.
- Cover the apple slices with the remaining crumb topping.
- Bake your cake for 50 minutes – 1 hour. The cake is done when the the crumb topping is a light golden color and the cake bounces back when you press on it gently with your fingers.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edges of the cake to loosen the springform pan and remove the ring.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 14g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 1g
Keywords: apple cake, coffee cake, apple crumb cake